Wednesday, February 3, 2016

{Old} Empties, part I: cleansers and removers

Happy Humpday! Hope your week is going well!

Some time ago, I began saving various beauty products I had used up with the intentions of sharing them in various empties posts I would compose on the blog I never created...until now!


I have lumped those products into categories so I could share a bit of my thoughts on them before recycling the packaging.


This edition of {old} empties features facial cleansers and eye makeup removers:



From left to right: The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter, Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub, Olay Foaming Face Wash, Rimmel London Gentle Eye Makeup Remover, Wet n Wild Eye Makeup Remover
The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter
I have been a huge fan of The Body Shop for quite some time. I originally began shopping there for the body butters, but slowly began trying its other products. In the midst of the cleansing butter and micellar water trend, I decided to give this product a try after reading a review about it on Nouveau Cheap. I thoroughly enjoyed the product, as a little went a long way and it left my face feeling soft and clean...no icky residue and no dryness. I noticed, however, that I couldn't use it to remove eye makeup without getting oily residue in my eyes! I am a part-time contact lens wearer, so that was a big no-no for me. It seems that none of the cleansing oils are good for eye makeup removal, though, so I would likely buy this product again.

Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub

I received a trial size tube of this scrub while I was subscribed to Ipsy. I have never been big on facial scrubs or masks, but when I tried this product, I fell in love! This stuff truly pampers my skin while working to exfoliate and cleanse it. My face feels so soft and plump after using it. I have since bought a full-sized version of this product and use it about once a week as an extra cleansing/pampering step. 

Olay Foaming Face Wash

I guess one could say I grew up with Olay, as my mom and grandmom swear by its products. I usually pick this up from Dollar General, but have also found it at Target and CVS. Aside from the reasonable price, it has a pleasant scent and does exactly what its name suggests. It's gentle and doesn't dry my face out. Though the sensitive variety is pictured here, I have used the other one for combination/oily skin and experienced the same results. This is my go-to (i.e., holy grail) facial cleanser.

Rimmel London Gentle Eye Makeup Remover

When I first started using eye makeup remover, I eventually noticed that certain brands would publicize a product as "oil free," yet, if one were to tilt the bottle left and right, she would easily see oil separating from the liquid! What is that about? As I mentioned earlier, I wear contact lenses, so that type of "oil free" eye makeup remover is a no-go for me...and I have actually had an experience where I had to buy an eye wash to get some junk like that out of my eyes! I was so excited to come across this product from Rimmel, because it is truly oil free. It is also gentle--in contrast to the next product I will discuss--yet it gets the job done. I have even used it in a pinch to remove staining left behind from lipstick! This is another holy grail for me; I hope Rimmel never gets rid of it!

Wet n Wild Eye Makeup Remover

This product is an example of "you get what you pay for." It is cheap, but it is not good. Yes, it is oil free, but notice the label does not include the description "gentle." This stuff smells and feels like alcohol. I am surprised I used the entire bottle because I distinctly remember the burning being a huge turn off. Even at $.99, I would never buy this again!

Stay tuned for part II of my {old} empties...coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment